Quick Guide: Subsea Projects in West of Africa Oil and Gas Fields
Where is the West of Africa subsea oil and gas fields?
The subsea oil and gas projects West of Africa is located off the coast of Africa in countries like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Gabon, Angola and Congo.
How deep is it offshore West Africa?
The water depth for the subsea oil field as so called deepwater (defined as 500 to 1,500 meters) to ultra deepwater (beyond 1,500 meters) with the current world record of 3,628 meters depth for an exploration well offshore Angola.
Oil and Gas Projects offshore West Africa
West Africa is experiencing an oil bonanza like no other, and the region’s political importance is increasing sharply. With Nigeria and Angola at the forefront, West Africa today accounts for a fair part of the world’s crude oil exports. Under the seabed of the Gulf of Guinea, off the ancient slave coast, lie some of the largest oil reserves in the world. In a few years, the Gulf of Guinea will, according to the research institutes, accommodate the world’s largest offshore investments in oil and gas activities.
The West of Africa oil gas subsea exploration projects activities are dominated by the major oil and gas production companies as Total, Shell, Eni, Exxon Mobil, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC to mention a few. The crude oil and gas production from Africa is expected to double over the next five according to recent market research.
Deepwater and Ultra-Deepwater
West Africa is becoming of great importance not only for foreign oil companies and for companies with cutting-edge expertise in underwater equipment and deepwater and ultra-deepwater technology. Research institutes predicts that beyond the North Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, West Africa will become one of the most important markets for the international oil industry in the years to come.
Subsea Production Systems
Subsea oil and gas field developments offshore West of Africa is complicated and it takes years from the initial successful geophysical and seismic surveys to first oil. Offshore exploration drilling and the reservoir can be defined and the volume of oil and gas or condensate can be estimated. The Oil and Gas Fields layout can now be developed, including subsea engineering and the design of the subsea production systems, pipelines routing and the topside oil production facilities and installations. After all the wells have been drilled and the subsea production systems are installed, the oil production can finally begin.
Top 10 Subsea Projects and Oil Field Developments
Below is a top 10 list of West of Africa Subsea oil and gas field developments:
- Lobito Tomboco by Cabinda Gulf Oil CompanyThe Lombito Tomboca Development will consist of three subsea centers tied back to the Benguela belize (BB) compliant Tower. Two centers in the Lobito reservoir and a third in the Tomboco reservoir. The Lobito and Tomboco discoveries are located in 1200 to 2000 feet of water in Block 14 offshore Cabinda in Angola. Lobito Tomboco, West ...
- Espoir by CNRis leading production facility for oil & natural gas for Cote d’Ivoire, is situated in the block CI –26, located 19 km offshore of Jacqueville, 60 km southwest of Abidjan, in water depths ranging from 100m to 600m Espoir, West of Africa, CNR, Africa,
- Sanha / Bomboco by Cabinda Gulf Oil CoCombined production from Sanha and the nearby Bomboco field is expected to reach its average annual peak of 100,000b/d of oil, condensate and LPG by 2007. Chevron Texaco’s Angolan affiliate, Cabinda Gulf Oil Company (Cabgoc – 39.2%), operates the block on behalf of its partners, including Sonangol (41%), Total (10%), and ENI (9.8%). Cabgoc and Sonasing ...
- Ekpe Phase II by ExxonMobilcompression platform is located in a water depth of 50m. Phase II of the Ekpe field development project consists of a new gas compression platform (OY) and a new living quarters platform (OQ). Ekpe Phase II, West of Africa, ExxonMobil, Africa,
- Ceiba by Triton EnergyTriton is the operator (85% share) of Blocks F and G, with South Africa-based Energy Africa holding the remaining 15% equity. Prior to drilling, Triton purchased 4,200km² of seismic data concerning Block G, as well as the adjacent Block F. The permeability ranges between 1mD to 1D and the porosity is 20-30%. It has an oil saturation ...
- Agbami by Famfafield lies in OPL Block 216, approximately 220 miles south-east of Lagos and 70 miles offshore Nigeria, in the central Niger Delta. Agbami, West of Africa, Famfa, Africa,
- Pazflor by Totalis located in Angola Block 17, in deepwaters around 40 km east of the Dalia FPSO. The project will consist of development of 2 reservoirs. Miocene reservoirs with heavy, acid and viscous oil (using gas/liquid separation) and Oligocene with light paraffinic oil. Pazflor, West of Africa, Total, Africa,
- Kizomba by ExxonMobilThe Kizomba A field development, include the Hungo and the Chocalho fields. The total recoverable resources of about 1 billion barrels of oil (gross), and began producing more than 130,000 barrels of oil a day in August 2005. Kizomba A, in water 3,300 to 4,200 feet deep represents an investment of nearly $3.5 billion.Kizomba A ...
- Xikomba by EssoXikomba employs an Early Production System consisting of nine subsea wells tied back to a Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel. Xikomba is the third deployment of ExxonMobil’s Early Production System (EPS) Technology offshore West Africa and the first EPS offshore Angola. Technip-Coflexip was awarded the contract, by Esso Exploration Angola Limited, which included the ...
- Bonga by ShellProduction facilities comprise one of the world’s largest Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessels and deepwater sub sea infrastructure. The field’s initial 16 sub sea oil producing and water injection wells are connected to the two million barrel storage capacity FPSO by production flow lines, risers and control umbilicals. Notably, this is the first ...
More Worldwide Subsea Projects
The database include many more subsea projects which can be can be sorted by oil field areas as listed below. Click on your area of interest to learn more about the projects.
- North Sea
- Barents Sea
- Gulf of Mexico
- Campos Basin
- Canada Atlantic
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Timor Sea
- Black Sea
- Caspian Sea
- South China Sea
More West of Africa Subsea Oil and Gas Projects
- Lobito Tomboco by Cabinda Gulf Oil Company
- Espoir by CNR
- Sanha / Bomboco by Cabinda Gulf Oil Co
- Ekpe Phase II by ExxonMobil
- Ceiba by Triton Energy
- Agbami by Famfa
- Pazflor by Total
- Kizomba by ExxonMobil
- Xikomba by Esso
- Bonga by Shell
- Abana by Moni Pulo Ltd
- Dalia Field Development by Total
- Zafiro by ExxonMobil
- Chinguetti Oil by Woodside
- Girassol by Total
- Block 31 by BP
- Greater Plutonio, Block 18 by BP
- Yoho by Esso
- Mossel Bay by EM